Saturday, May 3, 2008

That kid that just doesn't get it!


I am sure all teachers have moments when they are teaching a great lesson and a kid just doesn't get it. To the rest of the class a correct response is simple, but to that kid, a simple correct response seems impossible.

Well I just proved that it is not just kids who just don't get it. I just returned from a wonderful trip to Hawaii (thanks VH1!)with my wife Sarah and had a fantastic time. We stayed in Honolulu at Waikiki beach. We got to visit Pearl Harbor, hike up Diamond Head, snorkle at Hanalei Bay (wow- to all the fish we saw and the sea turtle that we swam with) and we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center among other things.

While at the Polynesian Cultural Center, we learned about the dance, music, and culture of Hawaii and the other South Pacific Islands (Samoa, Maori New Zealand (Aotearoa), Fiji, Tahiti, the Marquesas, and Tonga). Our guide told us that they would ask for three men to be volunteers to learn Tongan drumming. I knew I had to try that. Using all the skills gleaned from observing students at Mt. Pleasant School assemblies I knew exactly how to raise my hand and be picked. Even though we were sitting in the back and and there were a couple hundred people in attendance I got my hand up and was the first picked.

They had some fun with us and put us in grass skirts and had some funny introductions. Then I was called up to be the first drummer. They, of course, made me look silly and then it was time to end my performance. I just didn't get it! They wanted me to hit the drum twice da...da... to end the the show, but it is probably best to see what happened. The video is a bit shaky at times as that is Sarah roaring with laughter while filming and they even bring her into the act but I didn't even listen to her! Check it out...



I am so glad that the filters at Mt. Pleasant School block Youtube videos as I am sure more than a few teachers would have some fun with this one! Yes, I am the guy that just didn't get it!

No comments: