Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Move Around Math Classroom Fraction Scavenger Hunts Grade 5 Common Core

This recent study says that, "Kids who move while learning may absorb more."

"Kids who jump, squat and move their bodies during math and spelling may learn more effectively than students in typical sedentary classrooms."

Students should not be sitting in desks throughout the day. Period. It is a good thing if I can get my students to learn while incorporating movement at the same time. I have been having great success with classroom scavenger hunts in my classroom. Instead of doing a worksheet at their desk, my students start with a blank numbered worksheet and move around the room looking for the problems that they have to solve. I have taped the numbered problems all around the class for them to find, copy, and solve. It has worked fantastic. At first, I thought that it might get a little bit wild, but they were actually very quiet as they moved around the class completing their tasks. There is a good healthy buzz in the classroom and the students are more engaged in their work compared to what they would be doing if it was just seatwork.

I thought it was so fun to do that I have begun developing my scavenger hunts as products on Teachers Pay Teachers. I have started with fractions and have five scavenger hunts listed already. They tie in with the 5th grade Common Core units on Fractions, but can be used for advanced 4th graders or as a review in the 6th grade. Each scavenger hunt has 15 problems as well as a hidden message puzzle to solve just to make it more fun. Each scavenger hunt game sells for $1, although if you want to check out the quality, I currently have listed the 5th Grade Math Scavenger Hunt: Converting Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers as a freebie.

Here are the fractions scavenger hunts:
5th Grade Math Scavenger Hunt: Adding and Subtracting Fractions
5th Grade Math Scavenger Hunt: Adding and Subtracting Mixed Numbers
5th Grade Math Scavenger Hunt: Converting Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers

No comments: